Wednesday 14 September 2016

Annette Lambeth, A Career in Special Education

My name is  Annette Lambeth, and I have been working in special education throughout my career. Growing up I was often told of how rewarding the teaching profession could be, and what a joy it is to watch children develop and reach their full potential. However, it is not clear just how rewarding it is until you take the plunge into the world of education. In my case, what makes the job even more rewarding is working with children with learning disadvantages. Whilst we have a good standard education system in the US which rewards those without problems, being able to help those with special education needs it even more rewarding than I ever could have imagines it would be.

I, Annette Godfrey Lambeth, began my interest in this field when I graduated from Immaculata University 4.0 GPA. My field was in Educational Administration and Leadership as a Doctoral program, and gave me vital insights into how the education system operated in the US today. It was during my time on the course that my interest in disadvantaged children's education began to blossom. I wrote what became an influential paper titled “Learning Style preferences for Secondary Students identified with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.” The aim of the paper was to explore how teachers and educational institutions could better facilitate the learning of children specifically with ADHD. ADHD is one of the most common learning disadvantages suffered by children in the modern age, and is all too often combated with prescription drugs. The hopes of myself and colleagues is that one day teaching methods and ideas will mean these children will be able to work in a comfortable and conducive environment to learning without the need for things like Adderhall.

Following my graduation from Immaculata University, I spent 19 years as a School Administrator, including Assistant Principal, Principal, Director of Special Education and Executive Director of Student Support Services. This gave me the valuable experience needed to further my knowledge of special education, and gave me a chance to work with some of the most wonderful children I have ever worked with.

Last year I developed Special Education Summer Symposium in an effort to recruit, retain and support new teachers to the field of Special Education. I feel that this is an important step to make to ensure the longevity of good teachers in the special education industry, to help progress the industry further and help as many children as we can along the way. To find out more about the symposium or my work visit Annette Lambeth's Bio

No comments:

Post a Comment